Brain Health Questionnaire
Answered by Nicole Thomas June 2019
1. What motivated you to take the BHU program?
The brain is the most important and powerful organ and the BHU programme was a unique opportunity to explore ways to improve its health. I wanted something that would help change my thinking, to use the power of the mind to heal physical and psychological aspects of myself. Also, I had been wanting to learn how to meditate for some time and thought the programme would teach me to (not saying that it didn’t – it did help- but now I realise that meditation is not something that can be learned from someone else- comes from within).
2. How would you describe your state of mind before starting BHU
Tired, overwhelmed, working in ‘automatic’.
3. Did you experience any poor brain health symptoms
Brain fog, energy crashes, and disrupted sleep.
4. Did you have any previous experience in meditation?
I’ve tried it once before on my own.
5. Had you previously used either NIR therapy, AVE or Biofeedback meditation prior to starting BHU?
No- had not heard of any of them until finding BHU programme.
6. What were your first impressions during or after your first session?
During my first session I had an open mind to the things I was trying for the first time. I did not think much of the red light and wondered about it’s efficacy – but enjoyed the warmth from the light. The AVE made me fall asleep (only ever once in the first session), so I enjoyed that. And I didn’t understand how Muse worked properly in the first session. Overall, after the first session I felt a little spaced out, dehydrated (although I drink plenty of water), and chilled at the same time. I really enjoyed the sessions onwards and looked forward to using the AVE and Muse. Towards the end, I also enjoyed the red light as the time would pass quickly and I enjoyed the warmth.
7. Was there a pivotal moment that changed your outlook during the program? Or, as your biofeedback meditation results improved, was there a particular moment where you felt an inner shift or transformation?
I think it was the 4th/5th session where I felt the shift to a deeper level of consciousness, by choosing to surrender and trust in God, and I remember how wonderful and beautiful it felt hearing all those birds and also feeling at peace.
8. Do you feel the muse device and rain/bird audio feedback help with your meditation? (I also remember at one stage you stopped using the feedback did that improve your results?)
Yes, it really helped me understand what it was I was doing, that made me hear more birds i.e. feel calmer and more still. And towards the end, the birds and rains were annoying me, because it’s as if I was in competition with myself to hear more birds, and because I could hear things and was thinking about the sounds, I felt it was stopping me from feeling the true essence of what I was meant to be doing. The last two session I did, I didn’t listen to the feedback and those were my best results. The muse and audio feedback played a crucial role in helping me understand the tools I was using to meditate.
9. If you did feel a substantial change in physical / mental state, personal outlook or perspective what would you attribute those changes to? For example, did the environment / food / yoga / fitness or anything else on offer at Samahita contribute to these changes?
A lot of different things played a role in contributing to the changes. Firstly, reading the Gita whilst on the programme, was perhaps the most important one. It really connected me on a spiritual level. Another important factor for me were the teachers and their support, advice and overall presence, that inspired me to connect more with my own self and find the tools to meditate deeper. The environment and yoga was the next important thing- being somewhere quiet and peaceful, by the beach, being barefoot all day, and outdoors all day, all just gave me the space to relax. Not having to cook, and finding healthy food all ready, was a relief and nice to felt taken care of.
10. Fundamentally, do you feel the BHU program had a positive effect on your health, and specifically your mental state?
Yes of course. It contributed to improving my mental state, but it was not the direct cause – I was.
11. Do you have anything else to add?
Just a great thank you to you, Sarah and Gill, for being the energy you are!