1. “More than 300 million tonnes of plastics are produced annually, and there are at least five trillion plastic pieces floating in our oceans.”
“a British team of researchers say they have discovered cases of plastic ingestion among tiny shrimp in six of the world’s deepest ocean trenches.” (pacific ocean trenches, deepest water in the world.)
2a. “The data showed that a seabird ingesting a single piece of plastic had a 20 per cent chance of mortality, rising to 50 per cent for nine items and 100 per cent for 93 items.”
2. “The plastics recycling industry is facing an investigation into suspected widespread abuse and fraud within the export system amid warnings the world is about to close the door on UK packaging waste, the Guardian has learned.”
3. China’s ban on trash imports shifts waste crisis to Southeast Asia
4. Study on environmental issues relating to bioplastics. Bioplastics still have a carbon footprint and lead arable land to be diverted for production.
Sustainability Metrics: Life Cycle Assessment and Green Design in Polymers
5. UNEP document
Data on single use plastic usage globally
6. E.U agree to ban on single use plastics.